Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplement for Pets provides the health-promoting and anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA derived from 100% wild anchovies and sardines exclusively from the Norwegian Sea to the Southern Pacific Ocean depending on their seasonal migration. These nutrients are important for supporting a dog or cat's healthy skin, coat, joints, brain, heart, and eye health, as well as an animal's energy level. While research indicates that a ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 of 5:1 to 10:1 is optimal for dogs, many pet foods contain primarily Omega-6 fatty acids from vegetable oils. This results in a highly unbalanced ratio dominated by pro-inflammatory Omega-6.
Some pet diets may include Omega-3 fatty acids; however, virtually none include satisfactory amounts of the most important Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. In addition, any of these healthy fatty acids present are oxidized during the processing of the foods and/or eventually lose any healthy benefits during storage. *Oxidizing of any fats during high heat processing can also cause the creation of carcinogenic compounds.
We feel fish oil from smaller non-predatory fish like anchovies and sardines is preferable to fish oil from salmon and other predatory fish that can contain higher levels of contaminants and anchovy and sardine populations are more sustainable as well.
Why We Avoid Salmon Oil Products
Most salmon are farm raised (Atlantic Salmon) and can have higher levels of antibiotics, fungicides and PCB's from there feed and polluted pen environment. They also have a much poorer omega nutrient profile because of the commercial diet they are fed. In addition, please note the migratory path of Pacific Salmon - it takes them right off the Japanese coast and Fukushima radiation. Regardless of how far out each salmon species ventures into the Pacific, each fish hitches a ride back to its home rivers and spawning grounds on the North Pacific current, the same one pulling the nuclear waste eastward. We suggest avoiding salmon oil products.
About Nordic Naturals Fish Oil
Nordic Naturals uses 100% wild anchovies and sardines derived exclusively from the South Pacific Ocean off the coast of Peru. In 2008, the sustainability of these Peruvian fisheries was ranked as number one in the world. Product of Norway.
Is Nordic Naturals Fish Oil free of contaminants?
Nordic Naturals manufactures all their fish oil products in Norway, where they adhere to the highest manufacturing standards guaranteeing exceptional Purity and Freshness levels. The quality level of their oils exceeds both the Norwegian Medicinal and European Pharmacopoeia Standards.
They also adhere to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) facility standards, and utilize a proprietary nitrogen environment to achieve industry-leading freshness levels.
Nordic Naturals' products are molecularly distilled, utilizing the latest distillation technology and yielding positively zero trans fats. This process guarantees the removal of potential heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc.), PCBs, and dioxins. As an example, Nordic Naturals' dioxin level is documented to be 0.4 particles per trillion which is estimated to be the lowest in the world. Low heat and ultra short residence time is used during the distillation process to ensure positively no damage to the oil. A final enzyme process is applied to ensure a completely repeat free (burp free) product.
- Adheres to and exceeds Norwegian governmental fish oil quality standards that do not exist in the United States.
- Has exceptional purity levels tested by independent laboratories for heavy metals and over 210 other environmental contaminants.
- Ranked #1 out of the top 10 fish oil brands in Norway for highest concentration of EPA and DHA omega 3s, freshness, and purity.
- The anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids benefit:
- Cellular health
- Immune system health
- Skin and coat health
- Joint health
- Heart health
- Brain development and maintenance
- Eye development and maintenance
- Oil derived from 100% wild anchovies and sardines.
Available in 2 oz (This product includes a calibrated dropper for ease of use and accuracy of feeding your cat or small dog), 8 oz, 16 oz and 90ct and 180ct soft gels containing 1,500 mg (1000 mg fish oil).
Anchovy oil, sardine oil, soft gel capsule (gelatin, water, glycerin), d-alpha tocopherol (100% Natural Vitamin E - a natural preservative).
One capsule Contains:
1 soft gel = 1,500 mg and contains 1,000 mg fish oil
Total omega 3 fatty acids - 340 mg
EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) - 165 mg
DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) - 105 mg
Anchovy oil, sardine oil, d-alpha tocopherol (100% Natural Vitamin E - a natural preservative).
One teaspoon (5.0 ml / 4,600 mg) Contains:
Total omega 3 fatty acids - 1,564 mg
EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) - 782 mg
DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) - 460 mg
Suggested Daily Use
Use one soft gel for every 20 lbs of body weight daily. 1 soft gel contains 165 mg EPA/105 mg DHA/330 mg total omega-3 fatty acids.
Larger dogs: add capsule to food.
Smaller dogs and cats: puncture capsule(s) and apply oil directly onto food or treat.
Suggested Daily Use
Liquids (dropper included in 2 oz size for smaller pets):
Suggested daily use for cats:
- 2-4 lbs: 0.25 mL (37 mg EPA/25 mg DHA)
- 5-9 lbs: 0.5 mL (74 mg EPA/51 mg DHA)
- 10-14 lbs: 0.75 mL (110 mg EPA/76 mg DHA)
- 15-20 lbs: 1.0 mL (147 mg EPA/101 mg DHA)
- Over 20 lbs: 1.25 mL (184 mg EPA/127 mg DHA)
Suggested daily use for dogs:
- 2-4 lbs: 0.5 mL (74 mg EPA/51 mg DHA)
- 5-9 lbs: 1.0 mL (147 mg EPA/101 mg DHA)
- 10-19 lbs: 2.0 mL (294 mg EPA/202 mg DHA)
- 20-39 lbs: 0.5 teaspoon (2.5 mL); 368 mg EPA/253 mg DHA/759 mg total omega-3s
- 40-59 lbs: 1.0 teaspoon (5.0 mL); 736 mg EPA/506 mg DHA/1518 mg total omega-3s
- 60-79 lbs: 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 mL); 1104 mg EPA/759 mg DHA/2277 mg total omega-3s
- 80-110 lbs: 2.0 teaspoons (10 mL); 1472 mg EPA/1012 mg DHA/3036 mg total omega-3s
- 111+ lbs: 2.5 teaspoons (12.5 mL); 1840 mg EPA/1265 mg DHA/3795 mg total omega-3s
Apply oil onto food.
Storage - Store fish oil liquid in refrigerator after opening. It is recommended to use liquid fish oil within three months after opening, but we prefer closer to 30 days so purchase accordingly. Capsules can be stored in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight sunlight, but we prefer refrigeration after opening.