Seaweed Calcium for Dogs and Cats
An animal's digestive system is not designed to obtain its dietary calcium requirements from rock. This type of calcium, unfortunately used in the majority of calcium supplements offered to consumers, is poorly absorbed. In addition, magnesium is needed to move the calcium into the bone. Without magnesium the calcium will accumulate on blood vessel walls leading to a condition known as atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Numerous studies have shown that this condition is not as likely to occur with plant-based calcium sources that contain a variety of minerals and in fact it has been shown that bone mineralization is far superior when supplementing with a plant-based calcium source.
Available in a 6 ounce container.
Is Common, Inorganic Mineral Calcium Carbonate a Good Calcium Source for My Dog or Cat?
Calcium carbonate provides 40 percent elemental calcium; the other 60 percent is the carbonate ingredient. During digestion, the elemental calcium is released from the compound and becomes available for absorption. So, for example 1000 milligrams (mg) of calcium carbonate provides only 400 mg elemental calcium. But that isn't all, you have to consider bioavailability. Inorganic calcium carbonate has a bioavailability of only approximately 15%, making it, in our opinion, a poor source of calcium for your dog or cat.
What to Look for in a Superior Calcium Supplement for Dogs and Cats...
✓ Plant-Based Calcium
Plant-based calcium is a safe and highly bioavailable source of calcium rich in magnesium and over 70 other trace minerals known to play a role in bone health. Studies suggest that the unique mineral composition of red algae not only promotes bone formation, making it useful in treating bone diseases such as osteoporosis, but also has potent anti-inflammatory potential.
✓ Natural Ingredients
Natural ingredients are going to be gentler on your animal's body when compared to synthetic chemical ingredients or medications. Natural ingredients are also better absorbed with exceses more easily eliminated without causing toxicity.
✓ No Unhealthy Additives
Our calcium is made with all-natural, whole food ingredients. Absent are the fillers that increase packaging bulk and "flow agents" that make manufacturing faster and easier. Ingredients we avoid, but many of our competitors do not, include lactose, magnesium stearate, maltodextrin, stearic acid, calcium stearate, scorbyl palmitate, silicon dioxide, and microcrystalline cellulose among others.
✓ Uses only Human Grade Ingredients
Our products are manufactured using human grade ingredients. In the pet industry this is far from the rule as many companies use pet quality ingredients, those considered "not fit for human consumption".
✓ Uses Fresh, High Quality Ingredients
We purchase our ingredients from some of the most highly regarded companies in their respective fields so you and your animals are ensured the finest quality supplements. In addition, we purchase in small quantities to make sure the products we provide to you are fresh and bursting with important nutrients. This is in direct contrast to many other products on the market that can spend a year or longer sitting in non-climate controlled warehouses before they even get to you.
Chiavacci RD, A. All about calcium supplements. Retrieved from: https://www.brighamandwomens.org/patients-and-families/meals-and-nutrition/bwh-nutrition-and-wellness-hub/special-topics/calcium-supplements
Dehydrated Seaweed Meal (Lithothamnion calcareum). 100% natural seaweed harvested from the seabed off the Southwest coat of Ireland. Contains natural calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg) and 72 micro nutrients. Tested for purity.
Other Ingredients: None
Each teaspoon (3 grams) contains approximately 1,000 mg (1 gram) of bioavailable calcium along with magnesium and numerous trace elements.
Certified for use in organic systems Kosher certified
EU health certified Allergen free
ISO 9001:2008 certified BRC certified
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
Add one teaspoon to each pound of home-prepared food or as directed by a health care professional. Each teaspoon (3 grams) contains approximately 1,000 mg (1 gram) of bioavailable calcium along with magnesium and numerous trace elements.
Adjust the serving suggestion if you are providing bones or other primary sources of calcium as this will affect the amount of calcium your animal needs to have added to their diet.
Storage: Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
Approximately 57 daily servings for a 50 lb animal.