Although life styles have changed, the digestive systems of cats and dogs haven't changed for hundreds of years. There forms the basis for the formulation of Orijen Dog Food: Grain Free Senior.
By nature, all dogs are facultative carnivores, thriving on a varied diet of meats with smaller amounts of fruits, vegetables and grasses and biologically adapted to metabolize proteins and fats - not carbohydrates - as an energy source.
The anatomical specialization of dogs to a high-protein, high-fat, meat-based diet can readily be found in the length of their gastro-intestinal tract, the development of their teeth and jaws, and their lack of digestive enzymes to break down starch.
As dogs age, their bodies become less efficient at metabolizing the proteins that are vital to maintaining muscle mass and overall wellness. In addition to increased dietary protein, senior dogs typically require fewer calories than younger dogs, and fewer carbohydrates help improve insulin resistance.
Studies show that it is more harmful than it is good to restrict protein in senior dogs, and the high quality proteins are needed for our older pets. Without enough high quality protein present in the diet, senior dogs lose lean body mass, become lethargic and develop a lowered immune system. Orijen Dog Food is our top-of-the-line dry dog food!
Orijen Dog Food: Grain Free Senior Benefits
- Champion Pet Foods stands apart as a family-owned producer of Orijen Dog Food manufacturing in their own facility located in the heart of Alberta's prairie farmlands.
- Orijen is a Biological Pet Food following nature by closely matching the foods that dogs are evolved to eat.
- Features a biologically appropriate ratio of 75% meat, 25% produce and 0% grain.
- Uses all human-grade ingredients.
- Uses veterinary-inspected meats.
- Features proprietary, low-temperature (90C/195F) processing methods to retain natural nutrients. Orijen steam-cooks their fresh ingredients in small batches to preserve their natural goodness and delicious taste.
- Made from fresh regional ingredients.
- FRESH means the meats are never frozen and contain no preservatives. Unlike most commercial pet foods, ORIJEN is made with FRESH REGIONAL MEATS that are processed the same day they receive them, and are a key factor in the superior palatability and feeding performance of ORIJEN.
- Excludes ingredients like cereal grains that are not part of the natural diet.
- Has the highest meat inclusions of any dry pet food.
- Provides the essential fatty acids that dogs cannot produce themselves (including DHA and EPA) and are so important to nutritionally support the development of cell membranes, immune systems and a vibrant skin and hair coat.
- Contains native botanicals that include marshmallow, burdock and chicory root, stinging nettle and milk thistle, all of which replicate the natural canine diet and help to soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract, strengthen the liver and control insulin levels.
- Delicate ingredients, like the botanicals, are added after the cooking process to preserve their natural nutritional qualities.
- Derives the bulk of its nutrition, much more than other dry foods, from whole food ingredients.
For more detailed information please feel free to view Orijen's White Paper Document: The Biological Food Concept.
Orijen Dog Food: Grain Free Senior Details
Available in 5.5 lbs., 15.4 lbs. and 29.7 lbs.
To supply the enhanced levels of rich meat proteins needed by elder dogs, ORIJEN SENIOR features the highest inclusions of fresh, never-frozen chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish and fresh whole eggs. Loaded with protein-packed, government-inspected meats (minimum 70%) that form a Biologically Appropriate diet, ORIJEN is free of the grains or excess carbohydrates that are biologically inappropriate for your senior dog.
Instead of grains, ORIJEN SENIOR contains a full compliment of regional fruits and vegetables including both sweet and russet potatoes, black currants and sunflower from the prairie farms, apples and cranberries from the interior orchards, and sea vegetables hand-harvested from the pacific tidal range. While providing limited carbohydrate, these fruits and vegetables supply important natural antioxidants, phytochemicals and enzymes in a natural, bioavailable form.
FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS IN ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, chicken fat, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.
TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS IN ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.
ORGANIC MINERALS IN ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.
PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS IN ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
PREMIUM VITAMINS IN ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS OF ORIJEN SENIOR DOG FOOD
Protein 42.0% (46.5% DM), Fat 14.0% (15.5% DM), Carbohydrate 18.0% (20% DM), Moisture 10.0% (90% DM), Fiber 3.5% (4% DM)
Clearance Items 30-50% Off
While supplies last. Don't miss out on these great deals! Click here to view.
Most orders are shipped within 24hrs on business days!